As people have long drawn comparisons between Windows and Apple, and how ‘complex’ Apple’s OS is, the Chromebook by Google is no exception.
Even though it may be a cooler version of the MacBook in an Android way (just an opinion), Chromebooks, too, have their own way of going around things.
Unlike most laptop series, Chromebooks require different approaches to perform simple actions on their Chrome OS, and in today’s article we’re going to break down one of them.
And that’s (drumroll 🥁), how to copy and paste on Chromebook. This may sound very simple, but for many people, it really isn’t! So let’s get started with a guide to copying and pasting everything possible on a Chromebook.
How to copy and paste text on Chromebook?
Being a powerful laptop, Chromebook is a popular budget-friendly option for many people. And why wouldn’t it – it’s lightweight and stands out with its sleek design, after all. So there are Chromebook users who sometimes can’t figure out its features.
So, we are going to explain the different ways to copy and paste text on Chromebook. First, we’ll take the keyboard shortcut approach.
The steps for the keyboard combo may look familiar to what you’ve experienced when using other laptops as it’s not much different except for the layout of course.
- Using the touchpad, point to the text you want to copy and highlight or select it.
- press now ctrl + c key, and the text will be copied to the clipboard.
- Then go to the location where you want to paste the copied text. then click CTRL + V,
In addition to using key shortcuts, you can also copy and paste on a Chromebook using your trackpad or mouse.
use trackpad or mouse
Another way to copy and paste text on a Chromebook is via the trackpad or mouse. This obviously means without pressing the keys. So here are the steps for it:
- press and drag the text you want to copy.
- Once it is selected, right click On this.
- then select copy from the options that appear.
- Now you can go to the location where you want to save the copied text.
- anymore, right click click again Paste it,
- After that, the text will be pasted successfully.
If you find this method complicated, you have another way to copy and paste text on your Chromebook via the App menu.
access the app menu
The method is a simple on-screen process, using the App menu to copy and paste on the Chromebook. The steps for this are as follows:
- Using your touchpad or mouse, hover and drag over the text you want to copy and select it.
- then click on three vertical points Given at the top right of the page.
- click now copy, And the selected text will be copied.
- Then, go to the page or document where you want to paste the copied text.
- click on three vertical points Click again, and this time Paste it,
Now the copied text is pasted on the document or page where you wanted to place it. On the other hand, if you want to know how to copy and paste an image on Chromebook, you can skip to the following section.
Steps to copy and paste pictures on a Chromebook
Now that you know how to copy and paste text on a Chromebook, let’s see how to copy and paste images on a Chromebook. But before we get started with the steps, keep in mind that if you are trying to copy and paste the image from a source which does not allow it, then the given steps will not work.
So let’s move on to “How do I copy and paste on a Chromebook?” Follow the steps to solve the question.
- Go to the picture you want to copy.
- right click On that, more options will appear.
- then tap copy image To copy the image as is, and to copy its link, click copy image address,
- Once you have done that, go to the place where you want to paste the copied image or its link.
- click now CTRL + V key or select Paste it, And the image or its address will be successfully pasted there.
You can also right-click the space and select Paste. Now that you know how to copy and paste pictures on Chromebook, if you want to copy videos, the steps are given in the section below.
How to Copy and Paste Videos on a Chromebook
The process for copying and pasting videos on a Chromebook is very similar to the steps for images. The steps for this are as follows:
- Open the video you want to copy.
- Then right click click on it copy video URL,
- Now the link will be copied. Then go to the place where you want to paste it.
- once you’re on it, right click select again Paste it or press CTRL + V keys.
And all! Now you can easily watch and play the video after clicking on the link. Additionally, if you want to copy an entire webpage or a page in general, read on.
Ways to copy an entire webpage
If you want to copy an entire webpage, including the header, text, images, and other content on it, and not a screenshot instead, here are the steps for that.
- Click anywhere on the web page (except the image or a link) that you want to copy and press CTRL + A,
- Now the entire page will be selected, and all you have to do is press ctrl + c keys. The page will be copied.
- After that, go to the folder where you want to paste it, and once you are there, press CTRL + V or choose Paste it,
quick Tip, To paste a webpage, you can also right-click and select Paste from the options that appear.
Copy and Paste Extension for Chromebook
One of the many benefits of using a Chromebook is access to tons of extensions, in addition to the smooth running of all Google workspaces. After all, they make work so much easier.
And besides, they can also help with the work of copying and pasting on a Chromebook. We are going to list some extensions that will help you on Chromebook.
These are some of the best extensions you can use to copy and paste on a Chromebook. Another question users have is how to copy and paste on a Chromebook but using the touchscreen. So in the next section you can find the answer.
Steps to copy and paste on a touchscreen Chromebook
Among Chromebooks, there are some that have touchscreen functionality. And if your Chromebook supports it, too, the steps won’t differ much from the way you copy and paste them on your touchscreen smartphone. You can follow the below steps to copy and paste on Chromebook:
- using your finger, double tap on the screen to the text you want to copy.
- Then slide it to the end of the part you want to copy.
- Once it is selected or highlighted, options will appear; choose copy,
- Now go to the place where you want to paste the text. when you have it open, Press and hold > select Paste it,
With the help of these steps, you will be able to successfully copy and paste text or content using your Chromebook’s screen. If you want to do this without formatting, read on.
Copy and paste on Chromebook without formatting
Pasting without formatting can be useful because the content is being copied from an existing page or document. This will help you get rid of different fonts and colors throughout the text.
So basically there are two ways by which you can paste any text without formatting it, and they are paste without formatting or its shortcut, Ctrl + Shift + V,
Using this option when pasting text will remove all formatting from the copied text and paste it in the same font without it.
Now, to locate the already copied text in your clipboard history, follow the steps in the next section.
How to find the Chromebook clipboard?
Not only in the case of Google Chromebook, but also in many other laptops, users often do not know how to find clipboard history. So now that we’ve talked about the different ways to copy and format different things on a Chromebook, let’s take a look at the steps for finding the clipboard on a Chromebook.
- From the left side of your keyboard, press search key + V,
- You can then switch to the other copied items using arrow keys Or tab key If you want to replace the copied text.
- then press enter key, and the item will be selected.
You can also delete an item by tapping on x icon given next to it. With the steps above, you’ll be able to view your last five copied items as Chromebook clipboard history.
Reasons Why a Chromebook Won’t Copy and Paste
If you’ve tried all the steps explained so far and tried different methods, but still, your Chromebook won’t copy and paste, don’t worry. It is possible that you do not have the correct permission settings required for the process.
To solve this problem you can follow the steps given below:
- go for Adjustment , permissions,
- Now click on the option enable copy and paste,
- Make sure the box is checked, and you can now try copying and pasting again.
And if you still can’t copy and paste on your Chromebook, you can try restarting your Chromebook and see if that works! It’s time to stop wondering “how do you copy and paste on a Chromebook” and follow the steps in the article.
There are many reasons to use the copy-and-paste option on a Chromebook, first and foremost because it is a useful feature when one wants to get content or media from a particular website or page.
Not only this, but an entire page can also be copied using the feature with quick keyboard shortcuts. From text, images and videos to websites, text or media can be copied using the list of extensions for Chromebooks given in the article.
Read more: Google Pixelbook i7 review: A Chromebook like no other