Fix problems with YouTube or reset your recommendations
Are you trying to fix YouTube on your computer or smartphone? You can clear your web browser cache to resolve YouTube issues or clear the mobile app cache on your Android or iPhone. If you want to reset your YouTube recommendations, you can delete your watch history and search history. This wikiHow guide shows you how to clear YouTube cache and delete your YouTube history on Android, iPhone, and PC.
[Edit]Things you have to know
- Clear your web browser cache to fix problems with the YouTube website.
- Clear the cache of the YouTube app on your smartphone to fix common problems.
- Delete your YouTube history to reset your recommendations.
[Edit]Clear app cache (Android)
- Open the Settings app. This method clears the app’s cache data and resets the YouTube app. This fixes common issues, but it doesn’t reset your recommendations as that information is stored in your YouTube account.
- Please note that the steps will vary depending on your Android version and device model.
- Tap . This will open the list of applications.
- Tap . This will open the app options for YouTube.
- Tap . This will open the storage settings of the YouTube app.
- Tap . This will clear the cache data for the YouTube app, which will fix minor issues with the app. If there is still a problem with the app, try deleting the app and reinstalling it.
[Edit]Clear app cache (iPhone/iPad)
- Locate the YouTube app on your home screen. To clear the app cache, you will need to delete the app from your phone and download it again. Clearing the cache will help fix minor issues with the app, but it won’t reset your recommendations, as that data is stored in your YouTube account.
- Alternatively, you can locate YouTube in the app library.
- Long press on the YouTube app. This will bring up a menu of options.
- Tap . This will open a message asking how you want to remove the app.
- Tap . This will remove the YouTube app and its data from your phone.
- After it finishes deleting, re-download the app from the App Store.
[Edit]Clear Chrome Cache
- Click the More button. It’s the three vertical circles at the top right of Chrome, next to your profile picture. This method clears the Google Chrome cache and fixes minor issues with the YouTube website. This will not reset your recommendations, as that data is stored in your YouTube account.
- This method covers Google Chrome. For Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari, see our general guide to clearing your browser’s cache.
- Click on . It’s in the More pop-up menu.
- Click on . This is an option in the “More Tools” section of the More menu.
- Select a time range and deletion options. Selecting “All Time” in the Time Range dropdown box is the safest way to troubleshoot. To clear the cache, you just need to check the “Cached images and files” option. Clearing “Cookies and other site data” may also help resolve issues.
- Click on . This will confirm your choices and delete the selected data for the selected time period.
[Edit]Deleting YouTube History (Desktop)
- Click the profile button. It’s the circle with your profile photo in the upper left corner of https://www.youtube.com/. This opens the YouTube profile options.
- If you’ve been watching YouTube videos, but the recommendations haven’t been great lately, deleting your watch and search history resets the recommendations, giving you a fresh start.
- Click on . It’s next to the shield icon with a person inside. This is in the profile options.
- Click on . It’s at the bottom of the YouTube View History section.
- Click on . This will open a menu of options to select a range of history to delete.
- Click on . This will open a confirmation window.
- Click on . This will confirm the deletion of your playback and search history. Doing so will essentially reset your YouTube recommendations, since they won’t be able to use your history to recommend content.
[Edit]YouTube history deletion (mobile)
- Tap the profile button. It’s the profile picture in the top right of the mobile app. This method applies to Android and iPhone.
- Tap . It’s next to the gear icon in the profile options menu.
- Tap . This will open the “History & Privacy” menu.
- Tap . This will open a confirmation popup.
- Tap . Tapping this in the confirmation window will confirm the deletion of your playback history.
- Tap . This will open a confirmation popup.
- Tap . Tapping this in the confirmation window will confirm the deletion of your search history.
- For more useful YouTube tips, check out how to download music from YouTube and watch YouTube offline.
- ↑ https://support.google.com/android/answer/7431795?hl=en#zippy=%2Cremove-apps-app-data
- ↑ https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/
- ↑ https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop