Use a potion, turtle shell or conduit to breathe underwater in Minecraft
Trying to breathe underwater in Minecraft so you can explore the ocean? There are a couple of ways to do this! You can create a Water Breathing Potion, which allows you to hold your breath underwater for three minutes. Hold your breath and do Turtle Shell Helmet for 10 additional seconds. Or, make a groove (near the drain) for permanent underwater breathing. This wikiHow teaches you how to breathe underwater in Minecraft.
[Edit]things you should know
- Prepare Water Breathing Potion to breathe underwater for 3 minutes.
- Equip a Turtle Shell Helmet to gain an additional 10 seconds of underwater breathing time.
- Craft a Conduit to gain the Conduit Power effect, which allows you to breathe underwater indefinitely while nearby.
[Edit]water breathing potion
- Gather the necessary materials and tools. You will need a few items to make a water breathing potion. The potion allows you to breathe underwater for 3 minutes (meaning your breath meter won’t go down). Here’s what you’ll need:
- brewing stand
- glass bottle
- Water source (a bucket of water, a pan, or a nearby pond will work)
- nether wart
- puffer fish
- Fill the glass bottle with water. to do this:
- Hold the glass bottle in your hand.
- Right-click on the water source.
- Place the water bottle in the middle potion slot in the Brewing Stand. Right-click on the Brewing Stand to access the Brewing Menu.
- Place the Nether Wort in the top slot of the Brewing Stand. This will create a strange potion, the base potion for Water Breathing Potion.
- Place Awkward Potion in the middle potion slot in the Brewing Stand.
- Place a Pufferfish in the top slot of the Brewing Stand. This will make Water Breathing Potion. You are ready to continue playing Minecraft! Drink this potion to hold your breath under water for 3 minutes.
- Feed kelp to two turtles. This will put them in love mode. A turtle will hatch turtle eggs and travel to its spawning point (a beach). To craft the Turtle Shell Helmet that allows you to breathe underwater for an additional 10 seconds, you will need to collect five Scutes. When the baby turtles become adults, they leave them.
- You can even catch turtles and keep them as pets!
- Wait for the eggs to hatch. The turtle will lay eggs on its spawning beach. There will be one to four eggs. They will take four to five Minecraft days to hatch.
- Wait for the baby turtles to turn into adults. In Minecraft it takes about a day.
- Get Scoots. Baby turtles will drop a scute when they turn into adults.
- You will need five scutes to make the Turtle Shell Helmet. Repeat the breeding process until you have the required number of scutes.
- Prepare a tortoise shell helmet. When you have five Scoots, you can craft the Turtle Shell Helmet. Place Scoots in these five locations in the 3 by 3 crafting menu:
- bottom left
- middle left
- middle right
- bottom right
- Prepare a tortoise shell helmet. Place the turtle shell in the helmet slot in the equipment menu. This will allow you to hold your breath under water for an additional 10 seconds.
- Gather the necessary materials. The drain provides drain power effects to nearby players, including Water Breath, Night Vision, and Haste. To craft a conduit and its activation frame you will need three things:
- Eight Nautilus shells: Found during fishing, as a treasure item from drowning mobs and wandering merchants.
- A Heart of the Sea: Found in buried treasure in sea ruins and shipwrecks.
- 42 blocks for the frame: It can be prismarine, dark prismarine, prismarine bricks, or sea lanterns.
- Water: There should be a 3 by 3 by 3 amount of water inside the activation frame. You can build the frame underwater or use buckets of water to fill the inside of the frame.
- Prepare a drain. When you have eight Nautilus Shells and a Heart of the Sea, place them in the 3 by 3 crafting menu:
- Place the Heart of the Sea in the center slot.
- Place the nautilus shells in the remaining grooves around the center.
- Create an activation frame. The frame is a 5 by 5 by 5 cube where each side is a plus (+) made of prismarine, dark prismarine, prismarine bricks, or sea lanterns.
- You can optionally build an underwater activation frame to meet the 3x3x3 water volume requirement.
- See our guide to activating Conduit for more details and pictures.
- Fill the activation frame with water. There should be a 3 by 3 by 3 amount of water inside the activation frame. You can either use a bucket of water to fill the inside, or build an underwater activation frame.
- Place the groove in the center of the activation frame. The drain will be activated. You will see it open up to reveal the blue heart of the ocean inside. Done! The drain will grant the drain power effect to nearby players, allowing them to breathe underwater.