A Quick Guide to Blur the Background in an iPhone Photo
Blurring the background of a photo puts the emphasis on the subject while creating a beautiful out-of-focus effect. You can use your iPhone’s portrait mode to take photos with an automatically added blurred background. Alternatively, use a photo editing application like Adobe Photoshop Express to blur the background later. This wikiHow shows you how to blur the background of a photo on your iPhone.
[Edit]Things you have to know
- Portrait mode, which blurs the background in your photos, is available on iPhone SE and later, iPhone X and later, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone 8 Plus.
- Use portrait mode in the iPhone camera app to automatically blur backgrounds.
- Adjust portrait mode blur by touching Edit below the photo
- Try the Adobe Photoshop Express app to blur the background of existing photos.
[Edit]Using portrait mode
- Open the Camera app. The iPhone Camera app has a gray camera on a light gray background. Using your iPhone’s camera is a great way to develop your photography skills.
- Tap . This camera option is found in the selection tabs below the camera preview. It’s to the right of “Photo.”
- Tap the capture button to take a photo. It’s the white circle at the bottom of the screen. Your iPhone will automatically blur the background behind your subject.
- Taking a good photo with your smartphone takes practice! You may need to take multiple photos to get it right.
- Adjust the blur. You can change the blur effect of a portrait mode photo by following these steps:
- Touch the photo.
- Tap Edit at the bottom of the photo.
- Tap the f-stop button at the top left of the editing screen.
- Move the Depth slider to modify the blur effect.
- Press Made when you are ready to save the edit.
[Edit]Using Photoshop Express
- Download “Photoshop Express Photo Editor”. You can find this Adobe app in the Apple App Store. This method can blur the background of any photo by detecting the subject and adding a blur effect.
- Photo editing is an essential photography skill with a wide range of applications.
- Open Photoshop Express. It has a blue “Ps” inside a square.
- Touch the photo you want to edit. Your iPhone photos will appear under “Edit Your Photos” on the Home tab.
- Tap . This is an option under “Start with:” after you tap on the photo.
- Tap . This is a tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap . This will automatically detect and select the background behind your subject.
- Tap . This is an option in the “Selection Tools” list below the photo preview. You may need to scroll to the right to see it.
- Drag the slider to the right. This will apply a blur effect to the background of your subject.
- Save your photo. Tap the Save button at the top of the photo preview. It’s a downward-pointing arrow inside a bracket. You have successfully blurred the background of your photo! You are ready to send the image from your iPhone to your computer.
- For an advanced photography guide, see how to take beautiful silhouette photos.
- ↑ https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/edit-portrait-mode-photos-iph310a9a220/ios