This wikiHow teaches you how to change the default web browser on your computer, phone, or tablet to the one you want to use. You can change the default web browser on any operating system, including your iPhone or iPad. You’ll need to install your new web browser, such as Firefox or Chrome, before you’ll see it as a default browser option in your settings.
- Choose and install a popular browser from the list below. This will allow you to learn about the browser and change your default browser from preset to one of the following options. If your browser is not listed here, Wikipedia has a more complete list.
- Google Chrome (iOS/Android)
- Microsoft Edge (Windows/iOS/Android)
- Firefox (Windows / iOS / Android)
- Opera (Windows/iOS/Android)
- Opera GX (Windows / iOS / Android)
- Brave (Windows/iOS/Android)
- Open your Windows Settings. You can do this by pressing on the keyboard, or by clicking on the gear icon inside your Windows Start Menu.
- Click. It’s the icon that resembles a bulleted list.
- Click. It’s in the left panel.
- Click on the web browser you want to set as your default. It will be listed in your app list on Windows 11. On Windows 10, select the “Default browser” option on the “Default apps” screen, then your preferred browser.
- Click under “Make” [browser] Your default browser”. This will set the browser as your default web browser.
- If your web browser isn’t showing up, make sure it and your operating system are up to date. After installing the web browser, try running it for a few minutes so that it is registered as a web browser in Windows settings. If all else fails, you can manually set each link type to your default browser.
- Open your System Preferences. To do this, click the Apple menu in the upper-left corner of the screen, and then click system Preferences in the menu.
- If you haven’t already installed the web browser you want to use on your Mac, you should do so before continuing.
- Click. This loads a list of common system options.
- Choose a web browser from the “Default web browser” menu. Once you select a web browser, it will be set to open all web links, shortcuts, and browser-related extensions on your Mac.
- Open your Android’s Settings. You can do this by tapping the gear icon in your app list, or by swiping down from the top of the Home screen and tapping the gear in the upper-right corner.
- If you don’t already have the browser you want to use installed, install one from the Play Store before continuing.
- Or open Options. The name of this menu option varies depending on your version of Android, but it will always contain the word “Applications” or “Applications”.
- or Tap . If you don’t see this option, you may need to tap advanced First.
- Tap . This displays a list of installed apps that you can use as your default web browser.
- Choose the browser you want to use. This sets the selected web browser as your default browser on this Android.
[Edit]iphone or ipad
- Open your iPhone or iPad’s Settings. It’s the gear icon on your Home screen or in your Utilities folder in the App Library.
- Scroll down and tap on the browser you want to use. As long as you’ve already installed the browser from the App Store, you’ll see it in your list of apps.
- Tap . A list of apps you can use as your default web browser will appear.
- If you don’t see this option, you’ve selected an app that can’t be set as your default web browser. It is also possible that you may need to update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS.
- Tap the app you want to use as your default browser. This sets the selected web browser as the default on this iPhone or iPad.
- Open Activity View on your desktop. you can do it by clicking activities button on the top-left corner of the desktop, or by moving your mouse cursor to the top-left hot corner (if enabled).
- Type . In Activity view, you can quickly start typing to search for these words.
- Click in the search results. This opens a list of default apps on your computer.
- Click on the “Web” drop-down menu. A list of available browsers will appear. You must have your new browser installed for it to appear in this list.
- Click on the browser you want to use. This automatically saves your new settings. Whenever you click on a web link, your selected browser will load it.
- Change your browser’s default search engine